[FOM] S5 models & RE sets

Max Weiss 30f0fn at gmail.com
Thu Jun 10 09:08:24 EDT 2010

There's a translation from modal formulas to first-order formulas that
might help to clarify some of these issues.

Assume that the modal language has

a distinct sentence letter p_i for each i in N
a (unary) modal operator M

The nonlogical symbols of the first-order language are

a distinct monadic predicate P_i for each i in N
a dyadic predicate R.

Assume also that the variables of the first order language are indexed
v_0, v_1, etc...

The translation t() works like this (I think!).  A sentence letter p_i
becomes the formula P_i(x) where x is v_0.  Drive t inside of any
truth-functions.  When A is the formula MB, the translation t(A) is
the formula

there's a y such that: Rxy and t(B)*

where, x is v_0, y is v_1, and t(B)* is the result of increasing by
one the index of every variable that occurs in t(B) free, bound, or as
a quantifier.

Now, there's an obvious correspondence between a Kripke model M and an
interpretation M' of the first-order language into which the modal
formulas are translated: the domain of M' is the universe of M; the
M'-extension of each P_i is the set of points w such that in M, p_i is
true at w, and the M'-extension of R is the accessibility relation for
M.

I think it is not hard to show the following: a modal formula A is
true at a point w in M if and only if the same element w of M'
satisfies the translation t(A).

This material is presented---among other places---in the textbook by
Blackburn et al.  (Their presentation is more likely to be correct
however.)  They spend a whole chapter on computational complexity, so
it might be a good place to get more specific information.

Best,

Max