[FOM] ordinal notations on wall st

Jeffrey Sarnat jeffrey.sarnat at gmail.com
Tue Jun 1 19:17:20 EDT 2010

On Mon, 31 May 2010, joeshipman at aol.com wrote:

> It's obvious that ordinals are what you need in game theory to
> represent ever-more complex versions of "I know that he knows that (I
> know X, He knows I know X, I know he knows I know X, ...)" which is
> just omega+2 as an ordinal, so if you have a war  between competing
> algorithms trying to outguess each other then this can be interpereted
> in the ordinals.

So basically you're speculating that they're making spectacular amounts of
money from what amounts to a transfinite generalization of Vincini's
reasoning in the battle-of-the-wits scene from The Princess Bride. I
wonder: which ordinal corresponds to having spent the last few years
building up an immunity to iocane powder?

My pet conspiracy theory is that the post was intended to draw attention
to (what is in my opinion) an underappreciated branch of mathematics,
although it certainly would be nice if there really were a fairy-godmother
out there who magically bestows salaries unto proof-theorists in direct
proportion to the size of the largest ordinal they can name.
Ordinal-fairy, if you're out there, give me a call: a seven figure salary
*might* be enough to tempt me away from my current postdoc if you were to
ask nicely enough (although I do have to admit that, as a recently minted
Ph.D. in computer science, I've only ever had reason to count as high as
the Small Veblen ordinal thus far).

 	Jeff