[FOM] Are proofs in mathematics based on sufficient evidence?

joeshipman@aol.com joeshipman at aol.com
Thu Jul 15 21:36:19 EDT 2010

Although Euclid's conceptual world is somewhat alien to modern
mathematicians, that of Archimedes is instantly recognizable as what we
would call "rigorous mathematics". Of all the ancient mathematical
writers, Archimedes is the one who speaks most directly to modern
mathematicians, and his standards of rigor, professionalism,
motivation, applicability, and presentation leave nothing to be
desired. -- JS