[FOM] Are proofs in mathematics based on sufficient evidence?

Michael Barany michael.barany at tellurideassociation.org
Mon Jul 12 08:52:40 EDT 2010

Monroe,

Your experiences with Euclid represent one form of a remarkably common
theme in the history of European mathematics.  Of course, there are
many interpretations of this history, but one I find compelling holds
that beginning in the late 15th century Euclid's Elements was
effectively detached from most of the meanings it may have had in
earlier eras (particularly with respect to truth and rigor) and
re-appropriated to provide a historical basis for new claims regarding
the right way to pursue knowledge.  The interesting byproduct of this
transformation was that Euclid's Elements became more rigorous through
the cascading attempts to translate and teach the text over the
ensuing centuries.  But "rigorous" is always a debatable term, and
different generations of translators and teachers attached different
meanings to their prized geometric text. Thus, in the seventeenth
century Hobbes used one interpretation of Euclid's Elements to claim
that he had successfully (and rigorously!) doubled the cube while his
opponents used their version of Euclidean rigor to claim he had done
no such thing.  In the eighteenth century (as Joan Richards and
several others argue) Euclidean rigor was often seen to be more stale
and pedantic than a valuable method for mathematics.  The early
nineteenth century saw several waves of reinterpretation of the
Elements which culminated (for many) in Weierstrass's school of
analytic rigor, followed by the versions of abstract algebra and logic
more familiar on this e-list.

It may be interesting to recall that Cauchy himself was a
mathematician in a family of French lawyers,...

Smiles,

Michael