[FOM] R: Preprint: "The unification of Mathematics via Topos Theory"

Olivia Caramello oc233 at hermes.cam.ac.uk
Sat Jul 10 20:25:09 EDT 2010

Dear Vaughan,

Thank you for your comments.

You are certainly right in saying that the notion of Morita-equivalence
plays a central role in my approach (indeed, as explained in the paper,
Morita-equivalences and topos-theoretic invariants are the fundamental
ingredients on which the 'machinery' can be put at work), and of course it
would be nice to have more natural (i.e. directly arising from the
mathematical practice and not achieved by topos-theoretic means) examples of
Morita-equivalences. I quote from my paper:

"Morita-equivalence is a general notion of equivalence of mathematical
theories which is ubiquitous in Mathematics (even though there has not been
much interest in the past in identifying Morita-equivalences possibly due to
the lack of a general theory ascribing central importance to this notion and
demonstrating its technical usefulness - one of the purposes of the present
paper is in fact to advocate the extreme importance of investigations in
this area, cfr. sections 6 and 10). As a simple example of theories which
are Morita-equivalent, one can take the theory of Boolean algebras and the
theory of Boolean rings."

On the other hand, as remarked in the paper, Topos Theory itself is a
primary source of Morita-equivalences (in fact, a single mathematical theory
'generates' an infinite number of Morita-equivalences via Topos Theory) so
in many cases one does not need to find 'natural examples' of
Morita-equivalences in order to extract important information about
mathematical theories of interest via the machinery described in the paper.

In some respects, the example of Boolean algebras and Boolean rings is not
particularly representative of the notion of Morita-equivalence. Indeed, the
classifying topos of the two theories is the same (up to categorical
equivalence) for a 'trivial' reason, in the sense that the equivalence
between the two classifying toposes can already be seen at the level of
sites (indeed, it amounts to a categorical equivalence between the
categories of finitely presentable models of the two theories, while the
Grothendieck topologies on the opposites of these two categories are in both
cases the trivial ones). On the other hand, the most interesting
applications of the methodologies described in the paper arise when we have
two sites of definition of the classifying topos which are 'different
enough' from each other, so that the relationships between the two theories
that one discovers by applying the 'machinery' are *not* naturally visible
(let alone attainable) by working at the level of sites.

In general, it is worth to note that most of the usual categorical
properties can be lifted (up to Cauchy completion i.e. splitting of
idempotents) to the level of toposes; indeed, the Cauchy completion of a
small category C can be identified (via the Yoneda embedding) with the full
subcategory of the topos [C^op, Set] on the indecomposable projective
objects, and so we can rephrase any property of (the Cauchy completion of) C
as a property of this full subcategory. The point is that, as long as we
restrict our attention to presheaf toposes, we cannot expect topos-theoretic
methodologies to generate insights that could not already be attainable by
the standard means of category theory. On the other hand, when we put
non-trivial Grothendieck topologies on categories, we get an extremely rich
'combinatorics', which can be exploited (as indicated in the paper) to
extract a great variety of non-straightforward insights on
Morita-equivalences.

Olivia