[FOM] Why would one prefer ZFC to ZC?

Jeremy Bem jeremy1 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 30 19:38:26 EST 2010

Thanks.  I would say that the inability of ZC to establish the
existence of V_{omega*n}, for n = 1, 2, …, merits discussion in
general.  These do not appear to be controversial as sets.

Tentatively, I believe in ZC and also hold a non-first-order belief
that the countable union of sets is a set.  That is why I believe that
these are sets, and indirectly why I believe that ZC is consistent.

Presumably ZFC advocates (who are not pure formalists) hold a
similarly external belief that "union over all ordinals" is a
legitimate operation (albeit not one that returns a set).

-Jeremy