[FOM] A few observations on probability, cardinality, and the continuum

joeshipman@aol.com joeshipman at aol.com
Fri Dec 24 20:42:37 EST 2010

The problem with Freiling's argument is that it proves too much. It
depends on an intuition that any subset of the unit square or interval
has an associated probability of being hit by a "dart".

If this probability is to be countably additive, you are assuming a
real-valued measurable cardinal, which already disproves CH very
strongly without any need for Freiling's symmetry argument.

If it is only finitely additive, then such measures exist (and in 1 or
2 dimensions they are even compatible with Lebesgue measure and
invariant under rigid motions), but you can't really be sure countable
sets ought to have probability 0 of being hit.

If it is countably additive on points but not subsets, then you can ask
why shouldn't it be k-additive on points for any cardinal k smaller
than the continuum, in which case Freiling's symmetry axiom is
inconsistent.

I say it's better just to go with the intuition that every subset of
space has a "mass" which leads to a real-valued measurable cardinal. By
Banach-Tarski, such a measure can't be invariant under rotations, which
means that either our intuition about the isotropy of space has to be
thrown out or our intuition about the continuity and infinite
divisibility of space has to be thrown out.

There is an interesting alternative history here which has some useful
foundational lessons. Because Banach-Tarski was discovered after the
intuition of infinitely divisible space had been called into question
by the atomic theory, it was interpreted as evidence against infinite
divisibility rather than evidence against isotropy; however, if physics
had developed differently (for example if Riemann had lived long enough
to understand Maxwell's work and developed special and general
relativity before 1900) then it is possible that the intuition of
isotropy would have been discarded first, in which case  Banach-Tarski
would not have been interpreted as evidence against infinite
divisibility and the RVM axiom would have seemed much more intuitively
plausible.  (Of course the intuition of infinite divisibility would
eventually have been discarded too, but in the meantime RVM might have
become the basis for an alternative axiomatization of set theory, a
stronger one which proved among other things Con(ZFC), and CH might
have been considered unproblematically false.)

I don't believe that any alien mathematical civilization would ever
disagree with us about statements of arithmetic (they might think they
had proven X when we didn't, or think that we hadn't proven Y when we
claimed to, but there would never be a case where they thought they had
proven X and we thought we had proven not-X, if X was arithmetical and
the proofs had been sufficiently checked for mistakes). But they could
easily disagree with us about things like CH.

-- JS