[FOM] Grothendieck fdns, query on weak set theories

Robert Solovay solovay at gmail.com
Tue Dec 7 17:43:50 EST 2010

Harvey,

I think you inadvertently dropped the requirement that the theory T
that contains full induction is also **sequential** (handles finite
sequences well).  At least, I need that additional hypothesis for the
proof I know. (Perhaps you know a different proof?

The proof I know can be sketched as follows. Let T be the strong
theory (say Zermelo) and let S be the finitely axiomitizable theory we
want to prove consistent. Transform the proof of 0=1 from S, using
Herbrand's theorem (replacing quantifiers by epsilon terms) to get a
finite conjunction of Herbrand instances of S that is contradictory.

Now exploit partial truth definitions and our full induction to
step-by-step construct an interpretation of the epsilon terms that
shows the conjunction is in fact satisfiable. Contradiction.

The place where I need that the theory is sequential is to handle the
partial assignments of elements of our universe to epsilon terms.

--Bob Solovay