[FOM] MWPMW 11 Second Reminder (from Mic Detlefsen)

M D Davis eipye at pacbell.net
Thu Aug 26 12:20:01 EDT 2010

Dear Friends & Colleagues,

Herewith a second reminder concerning the eleventh annual Midwest PhilMath Workshop (MWPMW 11), to be held at Notre Dame the weekend of Saturday, October 23rd and Sunday, October 24th. As usual, the plan is to schedule a full day of talks and discussions for Saturday and a half day for Sunday. Also as usual, there will be a workshop dinner Saturday evening, with all participants invited to attend as guests of the university.

In a few days, a website for the workshop will be up, and you'll be able to keep up with developments there. You can get to it by following the obvious links on the Philosophy Department's web page (http://www.nd.edu/~ndphilo/). In due course, the location of the sessions, the schedule of talks and abstracts for them will also be posted there.

If you would like to give a talk, your should email a pdf of your talk or substantial summary to Paddy (blanchette.1 at nd.edu), Tim (bays.5 at nd.edu), Curtis (cfranks at nd.edu) and me (mdetlef1 at nd.edu). We would like to have all proposals for talks by September 3rd so that we can set the program by September 10th. Talks should be 35--40 minutes, with 15--20 minutes left for discussion.

We're fortunate to have Mrs. Harriet Baldwin (baldwin.1 at nd.edu) as the workshop manager once again this year. Please contact her with any questions you may have concerning rooms, meals, etc.. She has booked a block of rooms for the workshop. Since there are other conferences going on the same weekend, demand for rooms may be high and it would thus be a good idea to reserve a room with Harriet as soon as possible. Please also indicate to her whether you will be joining us for dinner Saturday evening, and let her know if you have any special dietary requirements. She can also point you to pertinent travel information, maps, etc..

Finally, I'd ask that you share this announcement with others you know who might be interested, including both students and faculty. We are fortunate once again to have limited funds to help defray expenses for student participants coming from out of town whose departments do not have funds to cover their costs. These funds will generally take the form of subventions for lodging. If you are interested in applying for a subvention, please notify Mrs. Baldwin of that fact as soon as you can. Please also have an appropriate faculty member from your department email me to confirm that it cannot meet your expenses.

That's it for now. I hope you're having a good summer, and I look forward to seeing you at MWPMW 11 in October. I'll be contacting you further as our planning proceeds.

Cordially,

Mic Detlefsen
Director, MWPMW 11