[FOM] P NP buzz

Timothy Y. Chow tchow at alum.mit.edu
Sun Aug 15 00:51:27 EDT 2010

Harvey Friedman wrote:
> Here's my question. Is Vinay the most accomplished and credentialed
> person (at the time of the circulation) to circulate an outright
> public claim to have solved P vs. NP?

If I understand the question correctly, Ted Swart at the University of
Guelph might be a candidate.  He circulated a purported proof of P = NP
via linear programming in 1986.  Soon thereafter Mihalis Yannakakis
published a paper (STOC 1988) with a very general result that there cannot
be a symmetric linear program for the TSP with subexponential size, and
that in particular Swart's approach could not be rescued.

If you really want to chase down the answer to your question then you
could peruse Woeginger's list to see if anybody "credentialed" catches
your eye: http://www.win.tue.nl/~gwoegi/P-versus-NP.htm

Tim