[FOM] What does Peano arithmetic have to offer?

Martin Davis eipye at pacbell.net
Fri Apr 30 16:30:28 EDT 2010

Vaughan Pratt wrote:

 >What does Peano arithmetic have to offer mathematics that isn't already
 > provided by the naive Roman numerals, suitably understood as forming the
 > free monoid on one generator "I"?

This would appear to be a simple category error. This free monoid
provides a system of notation equivalent to e.g. the usual binary or
even decimal notation. What PA (formal Peano arithmetic) provides is
a *formalization* of elementary number theory incorporating
mathematical induction with respect to any predicate definable in the
language of arithmetic. As such it is part of an infinite chain of
formal systems of increasing strength with respect to provability
power. We could begin the chain with PRA (which permits induction
only with respect to primitive recursive predicates)  or even
Robinson's Q. Between the bottom and PA are systems permitting
induction with respect to expressions with ever larger
quantificational complexity. Above PA are systems allowing more and
more set theory. Beyond the Zermelo axioms and ZFC are systems that
incorporate large cardinal axioms. It should be emphasized that at
each stage of this progression more and more statements of very
simple number-theoretic form become provable. This form, the
so-called Pi-0-1 sentences, can be thought of as asserting simply
that some polynomial with integer coefficients has no zeros that are
natural numbers.

Aspects of this progression have often been referred to on FOM.
In  particular Harvey Friedman's extensive posts provide examples
where large cardinal axioms are needed.

Martin, FOM moderator