[FOM] Foreman's preface to HST

joeshipman@aol.com joeshipman at aol.com
Tue Apr 27 03:16:27 EDT 2010

If you only care about solving the mathematical problems normally
considered important, and not about philosophy, "first order logic +
ZFC" appears to provide a good enough foundation that it is sufficient
to search for additional set-theoretical axioms and not to go outside
that framework. For example, the important results that were obtained
using category theory can be easily obtained within ZFC if you add the
"Grothendieck Universes" axiom (inaccessibles are unbounded among the
cardinals).

This is merely a practical observation; if you know of any serious
mathematical investigation of questions which can be stated in the
language of set theory that cannot easily be conducted in the framework
of first-order-logic + ZFC, I'd like to hear about it.

-- JS