[FOM] Falsify Platonism?

Monroe Eskew meskew at math.uci.edu
Sat Apr 24 04:11:31 EDT 2010

I'm sorry, but I find this whole style of argument to be ridiculous.

Look at the axioms of PA.  I need not list them here.  They are such
basic and bone-headed statements.  They follow from the concept of
natural numbers.  If you disagree with this statement please tell me
which of the axioms could possibly be false while its negation could
still purport to describe something deserving of the title "natural
numbers" (whether fictional or real).

The kind of total abstraction from the subject matter into general
truisms about metaphysics and epistemology is exactly what's wrong
with academic philosophy.  It gives people's arguments a loophole
around their own standards of intellectual honesty and allows them to
make claims that are just plain silly.

Sincerely,
Monroe Eskew
once a philosopher