[FOM] Russell and Skolem's paradox

Alasdair Urquhart urquhart at cs.toronto.edu
Sun Apr 4 12:14:48 EDT 2010

Vaughan Pratt asked:

> Goedel was 16 when Skolem pointed out his eponymous paradox in 1922.  To
> what extent did Russell appreciate Skolem's paradox?

As far as I know, Russell never commented at all on Skolem's work, nor
do I think that he was even aware of it.  The second edition of PM (1927)
contains a list of contributions to mathematical logic since the
publication of the first edition of PM.  Neither Lowenheim nor Skolem
are listed.

The authors listed are: Hilbert, Bernays, Behmann, Chwistek, Weyl,
Brouwer, Tarski, Bernstein, Konig, C.I. Lewis, Sheffer, Nicod,
Wittgenstein and Schonfinkel.