[FOM] Standard Language of Euclid

Grant Olney Passmore grant at math.utexas.edu
Tue Sep 29 12:59:40 EDT 2009

Dear Andrej and Joe --

Thank you for this interesting thread.  I serendipitously write now a few
hours after the ending of SYNASC-2009 in Timisoara, Romania, which has
involved much spirited conversation on RCF matters.

Andrej: The problem you mention is fascinating; I will email you
separately to learn more.

Joe: Thank you for that interesting reference.  W.r.t. your question, here
are two follow-up examples:

(i) The family of kissing problems for n-dimensional hyperspheres contains
a sequence of interesting open problems each expressible as Tarski
formulas.  In particular, the statement F(m,n) stating ``there exist m
n-dimensional unit hyperspheres, each kissing a unit hypersphere centered
at the origin, and none overlapping'' is easily expressed as a (very
large) formula in the purely existential fragment of the theory of real
closed fields.

To obtain k(n), the kissing number for R^n, one could in principle iterate
the operation of testing the validity of F(m,n) from below until the first
m is reached s.t. F(m,n) is false.  Then, k(n) = m-1.  While qe over RCF
is asymptotically doubly exponential in dimension (number of variables),
due to Renegar and others, it is known that the existential fragment of
RCF can be decided in time singly exponential in dimension (it is in fact
PSPACE-complete).  This marvelous fact hasn't yet* had any practical
bearing on decision methods as analysis by Hong in the early 90s at RISC
Linz suggested that while the known singly exponential procedures offer a
theoretical exponential speed-up over full RCF qe methods (e.g., CAD), the
constant factors involved (and ignored in the asymptotic analyses) make
the procedures intractible for even extremely small existential formulae.
Moreover, reconnecting to the kissing problem, the naive encoding of even
the statement F(13,3) (whose falsity would show that k(3)<=12 as was the
subject of a great debate between Newton and Gregory), requires so many
variables as to make any general decision method look completely hopeless
in the fact of such problems.

* I say ``hasn't yet'' as Galen Huntington in his beautiful 2008 PhD
dissertation under Branden Fitelson at Berkeley showed that Canny's singly
exponential procedure could in fact be implemented and made to solve a
number of small existential problems for which Hong's analysis suggested
other singly exponential procedures (Renegar, Grigor'ev-Vorobjnov) would
fail (where ``fail'' means ``not terminate for millions of years'').

(ii) While no longer open (though its special status through Hales's
Flyspeck Project as the source of perhaps the largest formal verification
effort in the history of formalised mathematics is leading to much
advances in proof checking technology, including RCF decision techniques
for special classes of formulae), the Kepler conjecture can itself be
expressed as an optimization problem in a finite number of variables, as
shown by L. Fejes Toth.  This can be expressed as a Tarski formula.  In
addition, Hales has organized a selection of some 200 elementary geometry
theorems (all Tarski formulas) whose truths are relied upon in the course
of his proof.  These all need to be formalized in the process of verifying
his proof, and many are in so many variables as to be beyond the reach of
available decision methods.  Many people are taking different approaches
to working on these (let me know if you want more details), and Hales has
even written a paper on geometric techniques he thinks might lead to new
algorithms for routinely proving the types of problems in the collection.
All of this is pushing the field of RCF decision methods forward at an
inspiring pace.

Also, returning to the subject of (almost) open problems, I remember
Warren Hunt once telling me when I was an undergraduate that during the
time of his Ph.D. in the 1980s he shared an office with Chou (who was Wu's
student before being Boyer's), and Chou's decision method based on Wu's
elimination methods was regularly able to prove theorems that Chou would
find by reading abstracts and announcements in geometry journals (without
seeing their proof).

I imagine that Chou, Dongming Wang, and Tetsuo Ida would have much more to
say on the topic as well.

OK, I will stop here.  I look forward to more discussion.

Grant
--
Grant Olney Passmore
LFCS, University of Edinburgh

--
Simplify, simplify, simplify. -- Henry David Thoreau
Simplify.                     -- Wendy McElroy