[FOM] New Proof of Fundamental Theorem of Arithmetic

joeshipman@aol.com joeshipman at aol.com
Wed Sep 16 20:01:03 EDT 2009

The way you can tell it is a truly different proof is that it doesn't
apply to other Euclidean Domains like the GCD proof does. You can
multiply the factors in a factorization together and mod out by
principal ideals as before, but the quotient groups are not simple
because their order is not prime (the norm of the principal ideal in
question doesn't have to be prime because the additive group of the
ring has dimension greater than 1 as a Z-module). For example, in
Z[sqrt(-5)] where 2 * 3  = (1+sqrt(-5)) * (1-sqrt(-5)), you end up
doing Jordan-Holder on normal series that are not yet composition
series -- thus 4 x 9 and 6 x 6 both get reduced to a permutation of 2 x
2 x 3 x 3.

The proof only works for Z because the primes in Z do double duty as
cardinalities of sets so their irreducibility implies that the
corresponding groups have no proper subgroups and so are aleady simple.

-- JS