[FOM] Apology for treatment of Turing

John Kadvany jkadvany at sbcglobal.net
Sat Sep 12 13:18:08 EDT 2009

The Prime Minister of the United Kingdom Gordon Brown has publicly
apologized for sanctioned treatment of Alan Turing during the 1950s.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/politics/gordon-brown/6170112/Gor
don-Brown-Im-proud-to-say-sorry-to-a-real-war-hero.html

For example:

"...Turing was a quite brilliant mathematician, most famous for his work on
breaking the German Enigma codes. It is no exaggeration to say that, without
his outstanding contribution, the history of the Second World War could have
been very different. He truly was one of those individuals we can point to
whose unique contribution helped to turn the tide of war. The debt of
gratitude he is owed makes it all the more horrifying, therefore, that he
was treated so inhumanely...It is thanks to men and women who were totally
committed to fighting fascism, people like Alan Turing, that the horrors of
the Holocaust and of total war are part of Europe's history and not Europe's
present. So on behalf of the British government, and all those who live
freely thanks to Alan's work, I am very proud to say: we're sorry. You
deserved so much better."