[FOM] Truth definitions

rgheck rgheck at brown.edu
Mon Sep 7 18:17:18 EDT 2009

On 09/07/2009 12:54 AM, T.Forster at dpmms.cam.ac.uk wrote:
>     I promised one of my Ph.D. students that i would write out a tutorial on
> truth-definitions for him.  One example it would be nice to work through is
> a consistency proof of ZF in the impredicative class theory commonly known
> as Morse-Kelley.  It occurs to me that an idea that good must have been had
> before, and that there must be an elementary treatment in the literature
> somewhere.  Can listmembers point me at one?

This is essentially the same as the proof of the consistency of
first-order PA in second-order PA. I would guess that it will be easier
to find an elementary treatment of that case.

I don't know if it's quite what you're looking for, but you might have a
look at these handouts of mine:
http://frege.brown.edu/heck/philosophy/pdf/notes/TarskisTheoryOfTruth.pdf
http://frege.brown.edu/heck/philosophy/pdf/notes/TruthAndInductiveDefinability.pdf
They're intended to be fairly elementary, but not sloppy.

rh