[FOM] Query: references on intuitionistic Euclidean geometry

Kreinovich, Vladik vladik at utep.edu
Sun Nov 22 13:05:11 EST 2009

One more related reference:

O. M. Kosheleva, "Hilbert Problems (Almost) 100 Years Later
  (From the Viewpoint of Interval Computations)",
  Reliable Computing, 1998, Vol. 4, No. 4, pp. 399-403.
http://www.cs.utep.edu/vladik/1997/olg97-4.pdf

mentions that

"Let us
give an example of a problem where an algorithm was not expected: 3rd,
about
the axiomatization of volume in elementary geometry. Traditional
description of
a volume requires not only additivity but also the so-called method of
exhaustion.

* In the plane, every two polygons of equal area are equi-decomposable,
and
therefore, any additive function on polygons is either an area or a
function
of an area.
* In 3D case, in 1900, it was not known whether any two polytopes of
equal
volume are equi-decomposable.

Dehn has proved that some are not, and moreover, he proved the existence
of
an additive function that is neither a volume nor a function of a
volume. This
function was strongly non-constructive (used axiom of choice), and it
was widely
believed that no constructive function of this type is actually
possible. This was
proven in [14]."

[14] O. M. Kosheleva, "Axiomatization of volume in elementary geometry",
Siberian Mathematical Journal, 1980, Vol. 21, No. 1, pp. 106-114 (in
Rus-
sian); English translation: Siberian Mathematical Journal, 1980, Vol.
21,
pp. 78-85.