[FOM] Arithmetical soundness of ZFC

William Messing messi001 at umn.edu
Wed May 27 12:37:43 EDT 2009

I am  intrigued by the suggestion that ZFC might refute the RH.  Are
there individuals who are attempting to show this?  RH has a sacrosanct
status for many mathematicians, at least for number theorists, those
workimg on automorphic forms, and arithmetic geometers.

I recall that at the conference for Hodge's retirement from Pembroke
College in Cambridge in 1973, Gelfand on perhaps his first visit to the
West, in after dinner conversation expressed the view that the RH might
be independent of the axioms of ZFC.  Serge Lang went "ballistic" and
refused to entertain this as a possibility.  I was convinced at the
time, and remain so, that Lang knew no logic.

William Messing