[FOM] Infinitesimal calculus

Brian Hart hart.bri at gmail.com
Tue May 26 19:07:29 EDT 2009

Gödel sent a letter to Robinson commending him on his fine work on
non-standard analysis and he stated that he thought that it would
become much more important than it has become since.  Why is this?  Is
it because it just isn't as useful as Gödel thought it would be or
that it could become much more useful in the future but we just don't
know yet?  Interestingly enough from the perspective of the history of
math, Robinson was good enough of a mathematician that he was
seriously considered to replace Gödel at the IAS but tragically died
shortly thereafter.