[FOM] Infinitesimal calculus

hendrik@topoi.pooq.com hendrik at topoi.pooq.com
Tue May 26 09:57:38 EDT 2009

On Mon, May 25, 2009 at 08:21:05PM -0700, Monroe Eskew wrote:
> If the idea is just to teach calculus techniques to high school
> students,

you could use an intuitive understanding of continuity (can draw the
graph without taking the pencil from the paper), and define a limit of a
function to be the value it needs to have to be continuous.  Epsilons
and deltas, or even "this approaches that" would only be needed if one
wished to explain the underlying concept of continuity more thoroughly.

> If on the other hand we are talking about teaching mathematical theory
> to undergraduates,

this would be the place to use epsilons and deltas to explain
continuity, be it Bishop-style uniform continuity or classical
point-wise continuity.

-- hendrik