[FOM] Categories satisfying Schoeder-Bernstein theorem

joeshipman@aol.com joeshipman at aol.com
Sun May 24 02:22:20 EDT 2009

I agree, and none of the other replies I have received address my point
that the asymmetry in the situation for sets (injections each way give
a bijection without choice, surjections each way require choice to get
a bijection) is not properly reflected in categorial proofs that use a
version of AC. Somehow you have to get your hands dirty with actual
elements in order to achieve Schroder-Bernstein without choice.

I still think there must be some categorial version which respects the
asymmetry, involving axioms for a set-like category which are NOT
self-dual, but no one has pointed to one yet.

-- JS