[FOM] Replies to Putnam

Paul Hollander paul at paulhollander.com
Tue Jun 16 12:52:01 EDT 2009

On 6/1/09 1:13 AM, Harvey Friedman wrote:
> My point of view is more nuanced: I strongly deny that category theory
> forms a philosophically coherent autonomous foundation for mathematics
> - in the sense that set theory forms a philosophically coherent
> autonomous foundation for mathematics. MacLane disagreed with this
> position. I suspect that Hilary Putnam agrees with my position on this.

Harvey,

I don't think I advocate category theory per se.

But I do question set-theoretic exclusivism.

Since category theory and set theory is each finitely axiomatizable, and
each capable of representing '=' and '<', why should we prefer set
theory as the official model-theoretic representation of '=' and '<', to
the exclusion of category (or any other) theory?  It begs the question,
with all due respect to Putnam, that there is a single "official" model
theory in the first place.  Why not model-theoretic pluralism?

May I request a clarification and demonstrate of the above claim about
category theory?  What is meant by "philosophically coherent autonomous
foundation for mathematics," and how does it differ from Beth
definability with respect to '=' and '<'?

Cheers,

-paul