[FOM] Definable sets of primes

joeshipman@aol.com joeshipman at aol.com
Sun Jun 14 19:21:12 EDT 2009

Answering my own question below: Berlekamp's algorithm factoring
polynomials mod p runs in time polynomial in n and log p. (I had
originally thought it was polynomial in p but that can be improved to
polynomial in log p.)

This makes Langlands's remark

**
verifying numerically the validity of the regularity suggested is a
task that requires great skill and ingenuity and is by no means assured
of success.
**

even more puzzling; what kind of achievement is it to detect a
"regularity" concerning membership in a polynmial-time-computable set,
if the equivalence is to a set that cannot be computed easily? It would
make much more sense to me to regard the description "primes modulo
which the polynomial f(x) has a root" as the PRIMARY definition of the
set, and say that the OTHER set (involving representations of
automorphic forms or some such) is the thing in which a "regularity"
was discovered!

-- JS