[FOM] EMU 2009 in New York, August 17-21, 2009 Effective Mathematics of the Uncountable

Joel David Hamkins jdh at hamkins.org
Thu Jun 11 11:47:50 EDT 2009

Effective Mathematics of the Uncountable (EMU 2009)
August 17-21, 2009
The CUNY Graduate Center
365 Fifth Avenue, New York City
http://nylogic.org/EMU/August2009

Although classical computable model theory is most naturally concerned
with countable domains, several methods---some old, some new---extend
its basic concepts to uncountable structures. The purpose of this
workshop is to study these various extensions of effectivity to the
uncountable, bringing together experts in such topics as
sigma-definable structures, alpha-recursion theory, E-recursion
theory, ordinal computability, Blum-Shub-Smale machines, infinite time
Turing machines and locally computable structures, among others.

This workshop is the second of its kind, after the inaugural EMU in
2008. In the 2009 workshop we plan to provide tutorial-type
introductions to models of computation which were not discussed last
year, as well as discuss progress made since last year. A particular
theme we plan to focus on is the role of a computable well-ordering of
the universe of a structure. We will contrast the approaches which
allow such an ordering with those which forbid it. We expect this will
have methodological repercussions for the study of effective model
theory on countable structures as well.

Organizers:

Noam Greenberg, Noam.Greenberg at mcs.vuw.ac.nz
Joel Hamkins, jdh at hamkins.org
Denis Hirschfeldt, drh at math.uchicago.edu
Russell Miller, Russell.Miller at qc.cuny.edu

This EMU workshop is funded by a generous grant from the Templeton
Foundation, a part of their program Exploring the Infinite, Phase I:
Mathematics and Mathematical Logic.

All interested participants are welcome to attend the workshop. There
is no registration fee. Limited funds are available to support
graduate student and junior faculty participants. Please contact Denis
Hirschfeldt or the other organizers about travel funding.