[FOM] MWPMW 10. Announcement

Michael Detlefsen mdetlef1 at nd.edu
Mon Jun 8 20:55:54 EDT 2009

Dear Friends & Colleagues,

This is an invitation to the tenth annual Midwest PhilMath Workshop
(MWPMW 10), to be held at Notre Dame the weekend of Saturday, October
10th and Sunday, October 11th. As usual, the plan is to schedule a
full day of talks and discussions for Saturday and a half day for
Sunday. Also as usual, there will be a workshop dinner Saturday
evening, with all participants invited to attend as guests of the
university. What is different this year is that we're planning
special events to mark the tenth anniversary of the workshop. Some of
these will occur as part of the workshop. Hugh Woodin and Tony Martin
will be joining us and giving talks as part of a special session on
set theory and philosophical questions concerning it. There will also
be a special meeting of our weekly Logic Seminar in connection with
this. Further details will follow when our planning is completed.

In a few weeks, a website for the workshop will be up, and you'll be
able to keep up with developments there. You can get to it by
following the obvious links on the Philosophy Department's web page
(<http://www.nd.edu/~ndphilo/>http://www.nd.edu/~ndphilo/). In due
course, the location of the sessions, the schedule of talks and
abstracts for them will also be posted there.

If you would like to give a talk, email a pdf of your talk or
substantial summary to Paddy
(<mailto:blanchette.1 at nd.edu>blanchette.1 at nd.edu), Tim
(<mailto:bays.5 at nd.edu>bays.5 at nd.edu), Curtis
(<mailto:cfranks at nd.edu>cfranks at nd.edu) and me
(<mailto:mdetlef1 at nd.edu>mdetlef1 at nd.edu). We would like to have all
proposals for talks by September 1st so that we can set the program
by September 10th. Talks should be 35--40 minutes, with 15--20
minutes left for discussion.

We're fortunate to have Mrs. Harriet Baldwin
(<mailto:baldwin.1 at nd.edu>baldwin.1 at nd.edu) as the workshop manager
once again this year. Please contact her with any questions you may
have concerning rooms, meals, etc.. She has booked a block of rooms
for the workshop. Since there are other conferences going on the same
weekend, demand for rooms may be high and it would thus be a good
idea to reserve a room with Harriet as soon as possible. Please also
indicate to her whether you will be joining us for dinner Saturday
evening, and let her know if you have any special dietary
requirements. She can also point you to pertinent travel information,
maps, etc..

Finally, I'd ask that you share this announcement with others you
know who might be interested, including both students and faculty. We
are fortunate once again to have limited funds to help defray
expenses for student participants coming from out of town whose
departments do not have funds to cover their costs. These funds will
generally take the form of subventions for lodging. If you are
interested in applying for a subvention, please notify Mrs. Baldwin
of that fact as soon as you can. Please also have an appropriate
faculty member from your department email me to confirm that it
cannot meet your expenses.

That's it for now. I hope you're having a good spring, and I look
forward to seeing you at MWPMW 9 in November. I'll be contacting you
further as things proceed.

Cordially,

Mic Detlefsen
Director, MWPMW 10