[FOM] throwing darts at natural numbers (reply to Arnon Avron)

Tom Dunion tom.dunion at gmail.com
Thu Jul 30 23:46:21 EDT 2009

On Sunday, July 26, Arnon Avron wrote:

>What will happen if our two heros through darts at the natrural numbers
>instead of the reals? It seems to me that by the same "argument"
>we get that nothing could possoibly happen.

The answer to the question is that A beats B,  50% of the time.

The reason the previous argument (giving zero likelihood either player
can win) does not go through is that it is impossible to assign a
probability measure on the natural numbers without some being more
likely to be "hit" than others.

Tom Dunion