[FOM] FOM: What is a proof?

Ron Rood ron.rood at planet.nl
Fri Jan 23 07:20:20 EST 2009

Q1. Frege seems to me a typcial case of someone accepting Aristotle's
traditional point of view in virtually all respects. And I think that
Frege thought so for mathematics as well as for any other field of
science. For Frege, axioms are true and known propositions; theorems
are logically derived from axioms and are hence also known
propositions (or so Frege believed). I do not have any of Frege's
works on my desk now, but I think that finding a number of good quotes
is not that hard.

Q2. For Hilbert, a set of axioms serves to provide an implicit
definition of a collection of models. I think that Hilbert hence at
least thought that axioms are not true with respect to some fixed
domain of objects. See the first pages of Grundlagen der Geometrie. I
don't know whether Hilbert has said something about where models come
from. I find it hard to say whether Hilbert believed that axioms are
known and in what sense. I do recall a paper from Bernays where he
says that Hilbert held that knowledge is something that applies to a
system of propositions and is not, or not primarily, a "propositional
attitude". I am not sure whether Hilbert accepted the view that a
proof in mathematics is a logical deduction.

Q2. Kant rejected the view that a proof in mathematics is a logical
deduction. According to Kant, a proof in mathematics is a
construction. A construction in mathematics is the a priori exhibition
of an object (Critique of Pure Reason, A713/B741). Kant did accept the
view that axioms in mathematics are true and known and I think also
for other fields of science.

Ron

Op 22 jan 2009, om 17:29 heeft John Corcoran het volgende geschreven: