[FOM] Euthyphro and proof

Timothy Y. Chow tchow at alum.mit.edu
Thu Jan 22 20:26:53 EST 2009

Vaughan Pratt <pratt at cs.stanford.edu> wrote:
> What terms do *you* use then?  (You didn't say, you just named the
> dilemma.)

Perhaps I should clarify that the reason I don't care for the terms
"left-wing" and "right-wing" is that I don't think that the analogies that
those terms suggest are particularly helpful.  On the other hand, the
analogy with the (classical) Euthyphro dilemma strikes me as quite close,
so I expect that carrying over the ideas and arguments could shed new
light on the f.o.m. issue.

In other words, my motivation is to provide some insight, not to come up
with catchy terminology or convenient linguistic abbreviations.  In
particular I'm not going to try to come up with snappy names for the two
horns of the dilemma just for the sake of having snappy names.  And I
don't have any other names in mind that I feel would contribute any new
insight.

Tim