[FOM] Euthyphro and proof

David Auerbach auerbach at unity.ncsu.edu
Tue Jan 20 22:06:43 EST 2009

That's a very nice name for it. As Socrates sets it up (in terms of
what the gods will) it is plausible that the alternatives are
exhaustive. That doesn't seem to be the case here.
  There's logical space to reject both horns. There might be a way to
rephrase the second horn in order to close up the space a bit--ruling
out incorrect proofs that are momentarily accepted. That is, it should
be possible to opt for the spirit of horn two without committing to
the infallibility of the mathematical community. (Not that Socrates
didn't point out an analogous problem...)

David Auerbach
Department of Philosophy & Religion
Box 8103
NCSU