[FOM] Brouwer on mathematical operations

Tero Tulenheimo tero.tulenheimo at helsinki.fi
Sun Jan 4 10:00:38 EST 2009

Speaking of "operational approaches" in the foundations of
mathematics, perhaps the most obvious reference has not been
mentioned, viz. Paul Lorenzen's "operative approach" to logic and
mathematics developed in his monograph "Einführung in die operative
Logik und Mathematik" (1955, second ed. 1969), Springer.

Lorenzen took mathematical theories to consist of applying mechanical
operations to constellations of symbols in accordance with given
rules. He did not develop the approach much beyond this book,
especially not its parts concerned with logic; instead he went on to
formulate the "dialogical foundation" of logic.

William Craig's and Thoralf Skolem's reviews of Lorenzen's book can be
found via projecteuclid.org.

A recent article related to Lorenzen's operative approach is P.
Schroeder-Heister's "Lorenzen's operative justification of
intuitionistic logic," see

http://www-ls.informatik.uni-tuebingen.de/psh/forschung/

Kind regards,
   Tero Tulenheimo

--
Tero Tulenheimo, DPhil
Researcher, University of Helsinki, Department of Philosophy