[FOM] history of modern notation for sets defined by a property

Allen Hazen allenph at unimelb.edu.au
Wed Feb 25 23:51:38 EST 2009

Sorry to be tardy in replying; hope you have found the answer by now.
Feys and Fitch, "Dictionary of Symbols of Mathematical Logic"
(North-Holland, Studies in Logic, 1969) gives one of the variants
(circumflexed variable before parenthesized formula) as their preferred
form, then mentions that J.B. Rosser, in "Logic for Mathematicians" (1953)
mentions some alternative notations, including the "modern" one you ask
about: Feys and Fitch then go on to credit Rosser with an extension of the
notational convention typified by
{x+y:...}
for the class of numbers which are sums of x and y satisfying ...  .
I don't know if Rosser credits the "alternatives" to particular writers.

Kelley's "General Topology" (1955) says that what you call the modern
standard notation "is the one most widely used today," and mentions one
alternative: Capital E with the abstracted variable written below it as an
abstraction operator.

Sorry: I thought that Feys and Fitch would have an answer to your question,
but they don't really take us beyond what you already knew!

Allen Hazen
Philosophy Department (PASI)
University of Melbourne