[FOM] Mac lane set theory

Jeremy Bem jeremy1 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 22 16:31:29 EST 2009

I was assuming one would try to substitute "the Von Neumann universe"
for M, but perhaps you're proposing "a set of inaccessible
cardinality".  My understanding is that the former concept is felt to
justify modern set theory in some way, even though it doesn't seem to
be rigorous and certainly doesn't describe a set.  Presumably the
latter concept doesn't seem sufficiently constructive to play this
justificatory role.  Alice's M combines the features of both.  So
there is a real difference...no?

-Jeremy