[FOM] A textbook on logic with natural deduction

Vaughan Pratt pratt at cs.stanford.edu
Sun Dec 6 12:57:02 EST 2009

Did anyone mention Smullyan, First-Order Logic, SV 1968?  This is where
I first learned about Beth's semantic tableaux, along with Smullyan's
adaption of them as analytic tableaux, in 1977.  I applied these ideas
in "A Practical Decision Method for Propositional Dynamic Logic," ACM
STOC'78, pp 326-337.  I hadn't seen tableaux used in program
verification before, though that's not to claim they hadn't been.
Certainly in CS as a whole the sequent approach can be traced back to
Prawitz et al and Wang around 1958, who may I guess have been influenced
more by Gentzen than Beth since the latter's book The Foundations of
Mathematics, NH 1959, had not yet appeared.  The historians would be a
better judge of this.

Vaughan Pratt