[FOM] A textbook on logic with natural deduction

George McNulty mcnulty at mailbox.sc.edu
Wed Dec 2 13:31:41 EST 2009

Here is a possibility:

        Beginning Logic
        E.J. Lemmon

        Chapman & Hall/ CRC
        ISBN 0-412-38090-0

        This book, published in 1965, has been reissued by
CRC press in paperback.

        Lemmon died at the age of 36 the year after this book was
published.  It was my good fortune to take my first logic course from
him just as this book was in press.  He has laid out an elegant system
of natural deduction, beginning with propositional logic and moving on
to first-order logic.

        The book is written in the tradition of the philosophic side of
FOM.  This means that it is written to be seriously studied. It is 225
pages long and more heavy going than many undergraduates would like.
Nevertheless, it has much to recommend it.  At least, it would be a good
resource.

        It is priced around $80.  This is outrageous, of course.

George McNulty