[FOM] counted sets

joeshipman@aol.com joeshipman at aol.com
Thu Aug 20 21:48:48 EDT 2009

I saw Conway yesterday and he confirmed that he remembered inventing
the term "counted set" but had no reason to believe it had not been
independently invented by someone else earlier or later.

In general Chow is correct about getting rid of gadgetry in
mathematical concepts; but neither Conway nor I could think of an easy
example of a set which was countable but which had no obvious way of
counting it. I suppose if there were a set of real numbers which was
not obviously countable from its definition, but for which there was a
nontrivial proof that its points were all isolated, one would have a
countable set that was not "counted".

-- JS