[FOM] "Mathematician in the street"

joeshipman@aol.com joeshipman at aol.com
Mon Aug 10 18:25:48 EDT 2009

Charles, surely you can't be saying that an MIS who has an opinion on
AC and CH typically thinks it makes no difference that one is an
"axiom" and the other is a "hypothesis"?

I have found that physicists and pop-math writers routinely regard both
CH and AC as "assumable", but that every actual mathematician I know
who is capable of stating AC and CH is aware that they have different
"statuses" in terms of acceptability of proofs using them.

-- JS