[FOM] Use of AC

Thomas Forster T.Forster at dpmms.cam.ac.uk
Mon Aug 10 17:49:41 EDT 2009

This is spiralling out of control, so this will be my last post. Implicit
use of AC is everywhere, of course.  What is not everywhere is the kind of
understanding of AC that FOM listmembers have. Arnon's illustration is a
good one.  I ask: how many of the people who learn this fact as u/gs can
identify and explain the use of DC in its proof?  Precious few, i bet.

Our preoccupations and concerns (as instance Freiling's argument) are
not shared by most people who are considered mathematicians.

--
DPMMS ph: +44-1223-337981;
UEA ph:  +44-1603-592719