[FOM] Well founded extensional relations

Thomas Forster T.Forster at dpmms.cam.ac.uk
Fri Apr 10 05:00:26 EDT 2009

I have just finished translated Roland Hinnion's 1975 thesis into english.
It makes good use of the idea that suitable families of isomorphism types
of wellfounded extensional relations with a top element can give
structures for the language of set theory.  To the best of my knowledge
this work is the first place where this idea is developed - which of
course is my chief motive for rendering it into english, since many people
(such as my Ph.D. students) cannot read french.

   Do listmembers know of places in the literature before 1974 where this
idea is developed?  The name of `Rowbotham' has been murmured into my ear,
but it was not accompanied by any citation.   Since i am accompanying this
translation by a commentary i want to get the historical details
(antecedents) right, so i would be grateful for any pointers.

         tf

DPMMS ph: +44-1223-337981;
UEA ph:  +44-1603-592719
mobile in UK +44-7887-701-562;