[FOM] philosophical literature on intuitionism

Juliette Kennedy jkennedy at cc.helsinki.fi
Sat Oct 25 11:31:33 EDT 2008

Anne Troelstra gave a very penetrating lecture on the
philosophy of intuitionism in our seminar just yesterday; he spent quite
alot of time on
the notion of the creative subject and creating subject arguments. A
scanned copy of Troelstra's lecture notes
will go up soon at the seminar website www.math.ru.nl/~landsman/PP.html;
see there also
for Wim Weldman's notes for his lecture on intuitionism of 10.10.08.

It occured to me while listening this time that although one can of
course do intuitionistic mathematics without reflecting on
the philosophical basis of it, the notion of a creative subject
seems to be a good way -- perhaps it is the only way, to make
philosophical sense
of a mathematics whose objects and concepts are subjectively constituted.

Otherwise the story one tells, how those objects come about, is going to
involve in an essential way, phenomena exterior to the subject.
Just what the intuitionist wishes to avoid, I would think.

All the best,
Juliette
------
P.O. Box 68 (Gustaf Hällströmin katu 2b)
FI-00014 University of Helsinki, Finland
tel. (+358-9)-191-51446, fax (+358-9)-191-51400
http://www.helsinki.fi/science/logic
e-mail: juliette.kennedy at helsinki.fi
mobile: +358-50-371-4576