[FOM] axioms and implicit definitions

A. Mani a_mani_sc_gs at yahoo.co.in
Wed Oct 22 20:55:34 EDT 2008

On Wednesday 22 Oct 2008 21:04:55 praatika at mappi.helsinki.fi wrote:
> There is a traditional conventionalist idea, sometimes ascribed to
> Hilbert, and apparently held e.g. by Schlick, that axioms *implicitly

Hilbert's notion of truth was not *traditional conventionalist*.

> Surely many things could be said about this view, but it is not clear
> to me whether there is some widely accepted, standard criticism of
> this idea? Some standard references?

One good book that relates strongly to the question is Ben-Menahem's book
Conventionalism: From Poincare to Quine, CUP '2006

Apart from the model theoretic concept, in studies of different logics we have
concepts of one logic being definable in another (and in many senses). These
contexts apparently reinforce the 'traditional conventionalist' view

Studies on intentionality in reasoning can never be apart from investigations
of the question, and there are many good sources for that.

Best

A. Mani

--
A. Mani