[FOM] philosophical literature on intuitionism

mark van atten Mark.vanAtten at univ-paris1.fr
Thu Oct 16 21:09:02 EDT 2008

Bill Tait Thu Oct 16 11:31:57 EDT 2008 wrote:

> Of course, this subjectivist element in Brouwer's theory  can be
> eliminated and the theory of choice sequences can be tamed--- this
> is done in the Kleene-Vesley paper on intuitionistic analysis and
> in Dummett's book on intuitionism.

No so-called elimination theorem has ever been produced for the
general notion of choice sequence; only for very specific classes. The
creating subject is wholly free to generate sequences that fall
outside of them.

Moreover, these theorems yield equivalences, so they work in both
directions. For this reason, Kreisel has made the sound suggestion
that such translations, when they do exist, should not be understood
(as they usually are) as 'elimination theorems', but as giving `a
complete analysis' of the notion of sequence in question.

I discuss this topic somewhat further in my book `Brouwer meets
Husserl: on the phenomenology of choice sequences'.

Mark.

--
Ce message a ete verifie par MailScanner
suspect n'a ete trouve.