[FOM] A generalization of RIce`s theorem for logical theories

William Tait williamtait at mac.com
Tue Oct 14 16:05:01 EDT 2008

on Oct 13, 2008, at 4:54 PM, Richard Zach wrote:

> I'm curious how exactly your result goes.  Surely what's undecidable
> is
> not if a theory has property P but if some representation (e.g., a
> Turing machine enumerating theorems, a finite axiom system)
> generates a
> theory that has P?

Yes, this is right;  but in his original statement, Carniell
restricted P to re theories:

> Rice's theorem  (sometimes called Rice-Shapiro) proves that any
> property defined  over the set of languages accepted by Turing
> machines is either trivial or undecidable

This is right. Let R be a set of numbers such that, if a is in R and
a and b are re indices of the same re set (W_a = W_b), then b is in R.
Then, by Rice,  R is null, the set of all numbers, or is undecidable.

Bill