[FOM] correction--large chains in the power set of the reals

Dave Marker marker at math.uic.edu
Mon Oct 13 18:24:29 EDT 2008

My earlier comments on large chains in the power set of the reals
are incorrect. The basic result I was thinking of is that for any
infinite cardinal kappa there is a dense linear order of size
kappa with more than kappa cuts. This only gives chanis of lenght
kappa^+ in the power set of kappa.

Wis Comfort pointed out to me that the situation is much more
subtle and addressed in:

Baumgartner, James E. Almost-disjoint sets, the dense
set problem and the partition calculus. Ann. Math. Logic 9 (1976), no. 4,
401--439.

Dave Marker