[FOM] Nomenclature - logical formulas and term

Gianluigi Oliveri gianluigi.oliveri at unipa.it
Fri Nov 7 04:38:54 EST 2008

Dear FOMers,

A possible suggestion is 'proper word'. In fact, if by 'word' on the
alphabet  A of, for instance, first-order logic we mean a finite string of
symbols belonging to A, we could say that a proper word on A is a word on A
that is either a term or a well formed formula (according to the usual
inductive definitions).

The advantage of this suggestion seems to be that we do not introduce any
improper semantic element, as in the case of 'designator', as a solution of
what appears to be a syntactic question.

Gianluigi Oliveri

---

Università di Palermo
Dipartimento di Filosofia, Storia e