[FOM] classification of finite simple groups

joeshipman@aol.com joeshipman at aol.com
Sun Nov 2 11:19:33 EST 2008

I would have heard about this, I think. A few months ago I was
discussing the COFSG with John Conway and he was still pessimistic.
(Meaning of course that he was confident the classification was
correct, "optimistic" in his case means there are previously
undiscovered finite simple groups, because they're beautiful and
interesting objects and it would be disappointing to have no more.)

-- JS