[FOM] classification of finite simple groups

Michael J Barany mjb245 at cornell.edu
Sat Nov 1 17:03:45 EDT 2008

Hi all,

In my abstract algebra class a few years back, we were told that algebrists
were pretty confident that the classification of finite simple groups had been
solved, and that all that remained was to do the huge project of writing up
the proofs in a single multi-volume work and filling in the gaps and cleaning
up notation and the like.  I heard recently from some algebrists that a new
class of groups had just been found not too long ago, and that now many are
doubting whether the classification is finished after all.  I haven't pursued
the references for this much, and it occurs to me that I wouldn't really know
where to start, but it came up in a conversation today with another FOMer, and
we thought we'd ask the list if anyone knew of any references, or could
substantiate this rumor.

Thanks,

Michael