[FOM] BLAST 2008

Keith A. Kearnes Keith.Kearnes at Colorado.EDU
Tue Mar 18 22:55:32 EDT 2008

  		CONFERENCE ANNOUNCEMENT

You are invited to participate in

  			BLAST 2008

  	August 6 - 10, 2008, University of Denver, CO, USA

B - Boolean Algebra
L - Lattice Theory
A - Algebra: algebra of logic and universal algebra
S - Set Theory
T - Topology: set theoretic and point-free topology

BLAST is a new conference series focusing on Boolean Algebras, Lattices,
Algebraic Logic, Universal Algebra, Set Theory, Set-theoretic Topology
and Point-free Topology.

The 2008 conference is the first in a series that will rotate among
universities of the region. (See BLAST Committee below.)

Invited Speakers for BLAST 2008:

Bernhard Banaschewski (McMaster University)
James Cummings (Carnegie Mellon University)
Mai Gehrke (Radboud Universiteit Nijmegen)
Martin Goldstern (Technische Universitaet Wien)
Tetsuya Ishiu (Miami University)
Ales Pultr (Charles University)
Judy Roitman (University of Kansas)
Kazushige Terui (National Institute of Informatics, Japan)
Constantine Tsinakis (Vanderbilt University)

Tutorials:

Algebra of Logic: James Raftery (University of Kwazulu-Natal)
Set Theory: TBA
Set-theoretic Topology: Peter Nyikos (University of South Carolina)
Universal Algebra: Matt Valeriote (McMaster University)

Mini Course:

Forbidden Configurations in Lattices: Richard Ball (University of
Denver) and Ales Pultr (Charles University)

Contributed Talks: To apply to give a contributed talk, please email a
title and abstract to the organizers at blast at math.du.edu by May 30.
After May 30, contributed talks may still be accepted, depending on
available space.

Expression of interest: We would very much appreciate a
(non-committing) reply to blast at math.du.edu indicating your level of
interest in the conference at the moment. This will be very useful in
our planning for local accommodation, transportation and classroom
reservations. Please reply by March 30, choosing one of the following.
(Your reply is not binding in any way).

- I plan to attend and give a contributed talk.

- I plan to attend, but not give a talk.

- I do not plan to attend, but keep me in the mailing list.

- I do not plan to attend; remove me from the mailing list.

Travel and Lodging Grants:  Support for graduate students and postdocs
will be available through the NSF grant for BLAST.  To apply, please
send a brief statement of research interests.  The first round of
decisions will be made by May 1. Applications received after May 1
will be considered on a rolling basis.

Local Information: We have secured accommodation for 50 persons on
campus at a reduced rate. We will post additional information about
other lodging options, as well as information about Denver, on the
conference web site http://math.du.edu/blast .

Important dates:

             Expression of interest: March 30 (voluntary, non-committing)

             Financial support: May 1.

             Abstract submission: May 30.

Local Organizing and Program Committee: Richard Ball, Natasha Dobrinen
(Co-chair), Nikolaos Galatos (Co-chair).

BLAST Committee:

Richard Ball (University of Denver) Algebra, Lattice Theory, Topology,
Combinatorics, Topological Dynamics, Stability and Complexity

Guram Bezhanishvili (New Mexico State University - Las Cruces)
Non-classical Logics, Lattice Theory, Universal Algebra, General
Topology

Natasha Dobrinen (University of Denver) Set Theory, Boolean Algebra

William Fleissner (University of Kansas - Lawrence) Set Theory, Topology

Nikolaos Galatos (University of Denver) Algebraic Logic, Universal
Algebra, Ordered Algebras, Proof Theory

Eric Hall (University of Missouri - Kansas City) Non-choice Set Theory

John Harding (New Mexico State University - Las Cruces) Ordered
Structures, Quantum Logic

Keith Kearnes (University of Colorado - Boulder) Universal Algebra

Richard Laver (University of Colorado - Boulder) Set Theory

Donald Monk (University of Colorado - Boulder) Boolean Algebra, Set Theory

Jack Porter (University of Kansas - Lawrence) General Topology,
Topological Extensions

Judith Roitman (University of Kansas - Lawrence) Boolean Algebra,
Set-theoretic Topology

Andrzej Roslanowski (University of Nebraska - Omaha) Set Theory, Boolean Algebra

Agnes Szendrei (University of Colorado - Boulder) Universal Algebra