[FOM] James Shaw on philosophy of mathematics

rgheck rgheck at brown.edu
Tue Jun 3 09:28:44 EDT 2008

Thomas Forster wrote:
> I have just picked up a copy of
>
>     Lectures on the Philosophy of Mathematics
>
> by one James Byrnie Shaw.  Open Court 1918. Can anyone tell me anythiong
> about this chap.  It occurred to me to wonder that it is only recently
> that people starting publishing books with names like this.  is this one
> perhaps the first?

And he does appear on the Mathematics Genealogy Project:
http://www.genealogy.ams.org/id.php?id=4828&fChrono=1
but not with much info. One interesting fact is that he was the first
Purdue PhD in maths. See here:
http://www.science.purdue.edu/centennial/trivia.asp
number 10. And the book itself is available here:
http://www.archive.org/details/50406541
for anyone who wants to have a look.

Richard